Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday

Aren't they all?

We'll be celebrating the holiday with a viewing of episodes 7 and 8 from season 3 of Six Feet Under. Seems appropriate, doesn't it?

Tonight we boil the eggs for tomorrow's dyeing process. I bought 2 dozen this year. I want deviled eggs, dammit! I've got the stupid deviled egg dish with all the little half-ovoid indentations that successfully corral the slippery eggy devils. It only gets used once a year. Seems like I've been compelled, doesn't it?

Saw a great bumper sticker today. Oval and about the size of one of those ferry stickers. Printed in black lettering over a pink Breast Cancer ribbon, it read "Save the tatas". Well, here, I'll just google you up a picture. Gotta get me one of these.

The Meetup Knitting Group I attended Wednesday night was fabb-o! The founder of the group is from Newfoundland. How cool is that? I've never met anyone from Newfoundland but it seems such a fabled, romantic place. Kathryn's as sweet, soft-spoken and friendly as you'd imagine someone from there to be.

Meeting her reminded me of a work-study student assigned to the Study Abroad office at Boston University back in the days when I was an employee. When he asked me where I was from and I replied, "Wisconsin," he got hysterical.

"No way!" he said to me.

I was curious. What could possibly be so extraordinary about being from Wisconsin. He explained to me that a friend and he had argued in a High School philosophy class that the state of Wisconsin did not really exist because neither of them nor any of their acquaintances had ever met anyone from Wisconsin. Since there were no eye-witnesses to its existence they proved, therefore, that the place was mythical.

"No! You've got it all wrong," I replied. "It's Delaware that doesn't exist." First in the nation, indeed. By Work-Study Student's reasoning, in addition to the fact that I could never bloody ever remember Delaware when having to list all 50 states, I concluded way back in childhood that either the place didn't exist or it was so insignificant, it possibly shouldn't. We used to spot state license plates on our interminable family driving vacations back when I was a whippersnapper. We actually even saw a Hawaii plate one year, attached to a car driving the Gallatin valley of Montana along route 191. Never, ever in all our years of (Dad) fly-fishing the west did we see a Delaware license plate.

But if Newfoundland can actually exist off-map to the extent that it produces sweet people like Kathryn the knitting group founder, then there's hope for Delaware yet.

And, yes, she was knitting a big thick wool jumper.

4 Comments:

At Friday, April 06, 2007 4:35:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Dran! Deviled eggs! I forgot the deviled eggs at Seder! I inherited one of those egg-dent plates from Mom and the kids look forward to deviled eggs. At least there are still four days of Passover left. (*Bread! Bread! Must eat Bread!*in zombie voice). Happy Easter.

 
At Friday, April 06, 2007 8:05:00 PM, Blogger Amy Lane said...

LOL...by that reasoning, I can fathom so many things that don't exist...let's start with Martha Stewart, shall we? I read your comment on Catie's blog... OUCH...that's one hell of a knit fix-it...I probably would have just let that one sit and called it a 'design feature'-- it helps to have a husband who is a computer engineer:-)

 
At Sunday, April 08, 2007 2:00:00 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Delaware exists, at least temporarily. Local police busted someone who had $1.7 million dollars worth of cocaine in his car. The driver made a marked-lanes violation and got pulled over; his car bore Delaware temporary tags. Proof: it was in the paper.

Hoppy Easter!

 
At Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:50:00 PM, Blogger Catie said...

Happy Easter Coach

 

Post a Comment

<< Home