Friday, May 25, 2007

Meanderings

There are few things in life as satisfying as hanging a load of whites on the line to dry in the afternoon sun of a hot early summer day (98 degrees on my deck).

Wait a minute, what am I saying? There are lots of things a thousand times more satisfying than doing the laundry, no matter how much energy I'm saving by using the sun as a clothes dryer.

Like, for instance, knitting something. I've been working my way through an overstock of Lion Brand Wool-Ease in the shade Wheat by cranking out one Great American Afghan square after another. This is the series published by Knitter's Magazine back in 1996 to which I am referring. I have a nice little stack of 5 different squares (photo here woefully missing) and am working on the 6th, to the detriment of finishing that V-neck pullover I started this winter not to mention the Zoe Mellor Fair Isle cardigan I started last year for Jujube and the Mission Falls cardigan I started for myself when I was a whole differently-lettered size than I am now. It's so old, I've actually advanced a generation as it has been composting in my project room.

I call this photo "Project Montage with Pooh Sticker". I apologize for the lack of detail in the knitting appearing here. Adjusting photos goes well beyond my PhotoShop abilities. Frankly, taking photos is something well beyond my abilities too. To paraphrase my mother, you're not laughing at me, you're suffering with me.

Having used up all the Wool-Ease, the yarn you see here is positively petrified nasty KMart Acrylic from one of my very first knitting projects. To exhibit my total geekness to you, I'll admit to purchasing the "aubergine" (huh?) yarn to make myself a Dr. Who scarf while in college. Crawled all over my then-home town begging assistance from every LYS staffer who didn't possess the good sense to run in the opposite direction and hide in the stock room the minute I set foot in the store. "What's Awber Gyn?"

For a Dr. Who scarf.

Oh brother.

4 Comments:

At Friday, May 25, 2007 6:26:00 PM, Blogger Amy Lane said...

That's so totally charming... Dr. Who--we forget him, in light of Harry Potter--but really--the time traveling Dr. Who--the guy who had two hearts, one for casual, one for best--who wouldn't like a scarf just like him? I still don't know what 'awber jean' is:-)

 
At Friday, May 25, 2007 8:35:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

For those of us who have English cookbooks (could you doubt it?) an aubergine is an eggplant (and just in case a courgette is zucchini).
Where is that lovely sweater with the slimming shape from? (From whence is that lovely sweater with the slimming shape?)

 
At Friday, May 25, 2007 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Mother of Chaos said...

What? Are you saying there's something wrong with wanting to knit a Dr. Who scarf?

{hides pattern she had been hoarding to precisely copy the scarf Someday...}

 
At Monday, May 28, 2007 5:19:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Bonnie,
Mission Falls Quinte Scrapbook

http://www.missionfalls.com/patterns.php

http://www.missionfalls.com/patterns/quinte.pdf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home