Thursday, May 10, 2007

Quick Message

Sorry friends. It's been quite a whirlwind. Here's a bullet list. I'll write for real soon...
  • Pulled into director's office on 4/11 and told my job was eliminated.
  • Effective date of layoff: 4/30. Previously booked vacation: 4/26 - 5/6.
  • Told to "transfer knowledge" during remaining time in office.
  • Called headhunter upon immediate return to desk.
  • Updated resume.
  • Began packing desk.
  • Held wringing hands of still-employeed colleagues who felt the need to pour out their despair at being left behind to pick up all the work (awwwwww).
  • Attended layoff orientation at which I learned Medical Flexible Spending Account is a COBRA-eligible bene which means if you keep it, you're pointlessly paying for it with after tax dollars, but if you use all funds before termination date then, oh well, company's loss.
  • Immediately booked myself into every medical professional's office I could.
  • Filled cracked tooth.
  • Bought contacts.
  • Bought glasses.
  • Met with 2 headhunters.
  • Had 2 interviews.
  • Told by a development manager to "make some time in my schedule" to "transfer knowledge" to a colleague prior to my vacation on 26th (you know me by now, imagine thoughts running through mind...)
  • Flew to Seattle to visit sister & family.
  • Found gorgeous house on Ames Lake but no job at Microsoft.
  • Returned sadly to Massachusetts on 5/6.
  • Signed up for the dole.
  • Attended Dept. of Unemployment Assistance workshops.
  • Had 3 more interviews and scheduled 2 more.
  • Managed to unpack & grocery shop. Somehow.

I'm pooped. Job hunting is exhausting because these days, you're on the phone or e-mail all day long, leaving you night-time hours to actually SEARCH for opportunities. I was hoping to kick back this time. Take it all a little slower. Filter out the dross since I need flexible scheduling. Haven't figured out how yet.

Anyhoo. That's the nutshell version. I've been thinking of you and this blog. Had some funny experiences -- one in Pike Street Public Market in particular -- that I wanted to share with you. Another time. I'm late for my Bedtime Story shift. Dying to know what's up with you but all my e-time these days is on Dice.com. Pew.

5 Comments:

At Friday, May 11, 2007 6:00:00 AM, Blogger Louiz said...

Eeek, and ouch. Good luck and I hope you find a new job soon.

 
At Friday, May 11, 2007 11:34:00 AM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Glad to hear from you, sorry you're not having a great time. Good luck on the job hunt.

 
At Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:35:00 PM, Blogger Rae said...

Please close my mouth, while you're at it.

Really?

Really????

Hang in there! Hopefully you'll get a deluge of good news and have so many offers you don't know which to choose. Hopefully....

Sending you steady successful thoughts!!!

Holy batshit, Batman, there's no visual verification word. Only the words "visual verification." Weird.

OK, there it goes. Wierdness. And to make up for it, the current word is qdvlfkg. Fuckers.

 
At Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:50:00 PM, Blogger Amy Lane said...

Wow... really? (rae and I have the same reactions sometimes...) That so sucks-- I'm crossing my fingers that your dream job is lying in wait for you with open arms...

But it really is good to hear from you!!!!

 
At Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:20:00 PM, Blogger Cursing Mama said...

holy crap! Your rss just updated on my reader today so I'm seeing this 14 days late! Moving on to the next posts & hoping that things are more job havey...instead of job searchy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home