Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Things You Learn On The Internet

Every blog I've checked out today instead of doing my work has been like reading personal messages from the Universe to me (egocentric much?). First there was the learn-to-talk-about-sex sermon from Eric Francis (oh geez). Then the Mt. St. Asshat Parable from Tales from the Den of Chaos (blush). And finally, the Why You Suck As A Friend lesson from Just Muttering By Myself. I'm writing this post now because if I don't, I'll have to slide under my desk and start sucking my thumb. Funny thing about asking the Universe to assist you in your quest to become a Better Person. It usually does.

Try this idea on for size. Since sometime within the year after 2 Year Old was born, I have been suffering with itchy, scaly eczema on my neck and throat. Being a New Agey nutjob who ascribes to the "My Body Is Trying To Tell Me Something" school, I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out this supposed message from my smarter-than-my-brain skin.

Too thin skinned? Well, yes, but what's that got to do with my throat?

Spend more time writing because if you don't, you're silencing your voice (voice -- hint, hint)? Well, OK, but other body parts (gut) are saying that's not quite it. (My goodness, what an opinionated body you have, Coach).

OK, let's see. What's astrology got to say about this? Throats are the domain of Taurus so what's going on with the planets and Taurus house in my natal chart... Nope. Big fat blank space there.

OK, so... what, what, what...

What, the Voice thing again? Well, sure, I've had a hoarse voice for the past month because of a virus that just won't seem to go away. Makes it kinda hard to sing along with "Howjadoo" and "Are You Sleeping, Brother John?" while entertaining 2 Year Old in the car.

Hey. Wait a minute. Hard to sing along... Sing...

Hel-LO!!! You're not SINGING anymore. You LOVE to SING (almost as much as you love to SHOUT). Why aren't you singing?

Why, indeed. I used to sing with an amateur chorus in the Boston/Cambridge area called The Spectrum Singers. Before that, I sang in my college chorus, even landing a solo part in Beethoven's Mass in C. My dorm-mates knew me as the girl who sang along with her Phil Collins records at the top of her lungs (hey, that was a long time ago so quit raggin' on my juvenile musical tastes and anyway I bet you still have Duran Duran in your record collection). My whole High School career happened the choir room. I took part in state music competitions and still have all the little gold Wisconsin-shaped medals (yep, gold only -- not even one solitary silver one in the bunch) awarded for each piece performed.

Here's the thing: I don't want to go back to weekly rehearsals after work in the city where there's no place to park. Nor do I miss the extra 2 rehearsals thrown in the week before each of three performances a year. Then there's having to sell $45 tickets to friends who don't really like classical music, especially the choral stuff. I think I need to branch out. And not to karaoke. So what are the options for a suburb-bound working mom with one or two other things on her plate? If you think of anything, let me know. Talk loudly, though, so I can hear you over my singing.

"I can feel it comin' in the air tonight..."

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:28:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Elder Son has Exc...Esce.... That skin thingee, too. We make him take flax seed oil. His breakouts are the worst in winter, maybe sun-related? I miss singing in a group, too. The local Chorale sings great stuff (a concert version of Sweeny Todd last year) but they seem a little, oh, intense? I want to sing, but just for the fun of it. Think we could get together once a week (that would have to be somewhere in New York State)?

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:07:00 PM, Blogger Mother of Chaos said...

My husband is in the process of starting his own Irish session here in town. He put up flyers at the local music and coffee shops a couple weeks ago, and has a small group of like-minded tune-sters already.

They meet about weekly at various places. And they're networking, so he's going to other sessions nearby as well...sessions he never would have known about if John hadn't brought Kathy who knew Peter who said, "Hey, you know, there's a session at Bill's Pub and Bait Shop every third Thursday..."

Choral is a *little* different...but maybe it doesn't have to be? Go for it!! Music is a great cure for That Which Ails Us.

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 1:51:00 AM, Blogger Amy Lane said...

Man--it's so hard to find your own voice as a working parent...even if it's belting out of the shower...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home