Friday, June 08, 2007

Sucking Rocks

That's interviewing for you. It sucks rocks. I have two interviews today. That's right. Today. Not this week. Not this month. Today. Two a week should be the maximum allowable by law. It's mentally exhausting. It's emotionally draining. It's legalized prostitution is what it is.

"You like? You like, big boy? Howzabouta job buddy? Only 75 (thousand) big ones. Aw come on, daddy. I'll be worth it! Sure, I'm healthy. Oh no, I don't do drugs. Of course I spend every waking minute thinking about you, Superman. Smooch, smooch, smooch."

In the past month, I've met with people from seven different companies and three different recruiting agencies. For every company, there is the initial phone screening, followed by a Meet the Mucky Mucks in our offices for 3.5 hours and one glass of water with no potty breaks, sometimes with an additional repeat Command Performance in front of Her Royalhighness (Human Resources) and the troops (potential future co-workers), and finally complete and utter silence. It's like a Bugs Bunny cartoon when a stage performer is greeted by the sound of chirping crickets. Hullooooooooooo... Anybody home?

Yesterday, Jujube got a hold of my Red Exacompta Weekly Desk Planner of Terror and a renegade pencil. My calendar is filled with scribble until at least the Independence Day holiday. I've left her "schedule" in place next Tuesday when she will be in day care and I will be most determinedly NOT in an interview hot seat. I'm thinking... public library with laptop bearing unfinished romance novel in hand or (eek!) maybe a local Starbucks generous with unlimited comfortable seating, an affection for public knitters, and an endless supply of Venti Iced Nonfat Lattes. Hey, that's what Unemployment Insurance benefits are for, right?

Well, that and buying Thomas the Tank Engine logo items as reward for my industrious daughter. Mommy thought she couldn't possibly love you any more, dearest, but she's just found a whole new way!

I love, I love, I love my calendar girl!

3 Comments:

At Friday, June 08, 2007 4:46:00 PM, Blogger Amy Lane said...

LOL (I spend all my waking hours thinking about you Superman...) Toooo funny...

Of course, the marathon hours not so funny...sorry you have to do that... It's so frustrating! I think you're definitely right...you have that Tuesday w/that latte and your knitting and your romance novel all to yourself... blessed peace--it cannot be underestimated...

 
At Friday, June 08, 2007 9:36:00 PM, Blogger Rae said...

I shouldn't admit the number of interviews I've bombed because I simply couldn't pull off the fake interest. If I'm not interested in something, I can't feign it. I'm not an actress. I tried. Tried hard. But alas, I'm just plain me, and I wear it for all the world to see.

Hang in there with the interviewing.

 
At Saturday, June 09, 2007 9:15:00 AM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

At least with two interviews in one day, you only have to put on the push-up bra and stilletlos once. Good luck and remember, "if you can fake sincerity, you can fake anything!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home