Friday, February 02, 2007

Groundhog Day Silent Poetry Reading

Inspired by Roots Down by way of A Yarning To Write this is my favorite poem. I've always wanted to stencil the last two lines around the perimeter of my bedroom walls. Maybe one day I'll get up off the sofa and do it.

Choose Something Like a Star
by Robert Frost - 1947

O Star (the fairest one in sight),
We grant your loftiness the right
To some obscurity of cloud --
It will not do to say of night,
Since dark is what brings out your light.
Some mystery becomes the proud.
But to be wholly taciturn
In your reserve is not allowed.

Say something to us we can learn
By heart and when alone repeat.
Say something! And it says "I burn."
But say with what degree of heat.
Talk Fahrenheit, talk Centigrade.
Use language we can comprehend.
Tell us what elements you blend.

It gives us strangely little aid,
But does tell something in the end.
And steadfast as Keats' Eremite,
Not even stooping from its sphere,
It asks a little of us here.
It asks of us a certain height,
So when at times the mob is swayed
To carry praise or blame too far,
We may choose something like a star
To stay our minds on and be staid.

6 Comments:

At Friday, February 02, 2007 4:39:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Stenciling is fun! I did a quote from T Roosevelt over the fireplace. I can probably be bought for yarn.........

 
At Friday, February 02, 2007 4:40:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Hmmmmm......Looks like your going to have to enable that security clearence/letters thing.....

 
At Friday, February 02, 2007 4:43:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Well kee-rikey! What a bummer!

I was thinking of buying you for piano lessons, Tart. Think you can do a Distance Learning program with me?

 
At Saturday, February 03, 2007 4:39:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Dear Coach:
Did you mean you would give me piano lessons or I should come and give you piano lessons? Hmmmm duets?
Hee! "Wux a keg". sounds like a verification party

 
At Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:54:00 PM, Blogger Amy Lane said...

awesome poem--I love Robert Frost--and I love that Keats poem he alluded too... fun stuff...

 
At Monday, February 05, 2007 4:35:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

NeedleTart: I meant I want you to teach me piano. I plum fer-got how even tho I had 7 years of lessons. But then, that was longer ago and less time than it's been since I STOPPED playing so is it any wonder my fingers don't remember how? And I can't sightread more than one note at a time anymore. That's what singing will do to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home