Monday, February 05, 2007

Impromptu

While knitting away on the V-neck pullover last evening in front of the telly and avoiding the Stupor Bore, Englishman and I happened upon a film by the same title as this blog entry starring a surprising ensemble cast that included Emma Thompson being impossibly twitty, Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin being implausibly European, Julian Sands being infallibly wooden, and Hugh Grant being impeccably delicate and effete. The role of Frédéric Chopin was perfect for him. He starred opposite Judy Davis who played George Sand with all the grace of a rutting buck. It was a strange car crash of a film. We couldn't tear our eyes away. The casting director should have been severely reprimanded and probably only escaped being run off the Continent to Hollywood because of the absolute stroke of genius that stuck Hugh Grant in the role of his life. He really was too too tutu. I've never seen him in a better role. In fact, I've never seen him act before. He's usually cast as Hugh Grant. Do try to catch it sometime. It's one of the oddest things I have ever seen, although it did inspire me to run to the library during my lunch break today and pick up a recording of Chopin Impromptus. Or maybe it was Etudes.

Of course, I picked up a couple books and a few more CDs too. Looks like I've got a lot of sitting to do, team. You know where to find me.

Speaking of Chopin Impromptutus,
Needle Tart has offered to give me piano lessons. Isn't that nice of her? I agreed, naturally, since the piano can be played while sitting down. We have yet to work out the distance learning arrangements nor have I offered anything in exchange for her services. Details, delightful details.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 06, 2007 7:13:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Hi,there! I've been waiting for that comment button to come up! Shall I bring the keyboard or do you have a full-sized piano? I've always wanted to visit Mass. and The Husband will have a lot of free time once summer gets here. As you have, once upon a time, taken lessons get started on those finger exercises.....

 
At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:59:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

C'mon out here, sistah. Lots to look at round this part of the world. It's probably best done during the Spring though.

Finger exercises? Hmmm... on second thought. I think I gave my copy of Hanon to a friend for lining her bird's cage.

Naw, I'm fibbing. I still have it.

 
At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:47:00 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

That's the one, baby! Work on numbers 1-5. (I swear I could do them in my sleep.....sleeeeppppp!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home